Sunday 17 November 2013

Low Oxalate Diet


 

            I haven’t made a post about this yet, but for about a month and a week I’ve been trying the Low Oxalate Diet. I tried it a couple months ago, and after two weeks had a session of relatively successful sexual intercourse. It was still painful, but not so painful that I couldn’t get past it and make it through a whole session of intercourse. I stopped the diet afterwards, as it’s not a fun one in my opinion, and haven’t had intercourse since. I have no idea whether it was a factor or not in the less painful intercourse, but I thought I’d try it up again, and this time for a bit longer as they recommend individuals do the diet for three months!

            The Low Oxalate Diet is the diet they put people on when they commonly get kidney stones and such. When I first came across the diet, I was like “What the heck is oxalate?” not easy to find info on, but from what I’ve read, it seems to be in EVERYTHING (i.e. all plants and all animals). The body uses it as a way to get calcium out of our bodies, it bonds to the calcium and crystallizes to make it easier to excrete it from the body. When we have high levels of calcium AND high levels of oxalate that’s when kidney stones can form (the crystallized calcium) or smaller portions of this crystallized calcium can cause pain when being excreted in our urine (thus the pain some women may have following intercourse as they urinate). I personally do not get these forms of pain, but I came up with a theory on my own! Can’t remember if I read it somewhere or not, so don’t take this as a fact (I’ve mentioned it to my doctor and he didn’t tell me it wasn’t impossible…) but calcium is typically near bones, like pit spinal cord segments, if the oxalate bonds to the calcium near a spinal segment where my neural pathways to my pelvis are, perhaps the crystallized calcium pushes up against and pinches the nerves/neural pathways. Seems logical, right? So I decided to give the diet another shot!

            Here’s the grid I follow for what I can eat every day, what I can have every once in awhile and what I should not ever eat.
 

            The only problem I found while being in the diet: the psychologist told me not to do anything that causes higher than 3/10 on the pain scale, so how do I test whether it’s working or not??

            Well! Today is the day I’m hoping to find out, it’s been almost a month and a half, and I’ve decided that today is going to be my cheat day! I’ve already had a big cup of black tea, a grainy bagel with peanut butter on it and some chocolate! Oh how I’ve missed all of these things, and berries too (but I haven’t had the chance to have any today … yet)! If this diet works, I’d expect that after this cheat day of high levels of oxalate, I’d experience a significant amount of increase uncomfortableness over the next couple of days. If I do experience an increase in pain or general discomfort, then I’ll continue the diet, if I don’t feel any difference in my comfort or pain level, I’m going to go back to eating my normal foods (and tea!).
            I’ll keep you guys posted J

No comments:

Post a Comment